Houmos – Hummus
Hummus is a culinary preparation from the Middle East. It looks like a very creamy chickpea paste flavored with garlic. It can be enjoyed in different ways on toasted bread, crackers, pita bread, or even with raw vegetable sticks. 💛
The main ingredients are chickpeas, garlic, and olive oil. After several trials and tweaks, I’ve come to prefer the following version.
Prep Time : 15 min
Cook Time : 1 hour
Step 1 : Soaking the chickpeas
It is recommended to soak the chickpeas for at least 8 hours in cold water. This softens them, makes cooking easier, and aids digestion.
The day before, soak the chickpeas in a bowl covered with a large amount of cold water (the chickpeas will swell). Cover with a towel.
Step 2 : Soaking the chickpeas
- The next day, discard the water and rinse the chickpeas.
- Put them in a pressure cooker, cover them with water (at least 3 times the volume of chickpeas), and cook for one hour. Refrain from adding salt as it slows down the cooking.
- Once done, drain them well.
Step 3 : Cooking the chickpeas
- In a food processor, chop a clove of garlic (if the garlic is not fresh, remove the germ) and add 60 ml of olive oil, 50 grams of goat yogurt, 1 tablespoon of tahini, and lemon juice.
- Blend the ingredients before adding the chickpeas. Continue to blend for a long time, scraping the sides to get a smooth and creamy chickpea puree.
- Pour the preparation into a container that you can close and chill for about 2 hours.
Enjoy your Hummus Dip !
Gisou’s Tips and Tricks
- Tahini, also known as tahin, tahina, tehina, or tahini, is a creamy sesame paste. Sesame seeds are ground with a bit of water until a smooth paste is achieved.
- To save time, you can cook a larger quantity of chickpeas and freeze them for future use in recipes.
- For a smoother texture, you can peel the chickpeas, but be prepared for a longer preparation time! Personally, I keep the skins on but make sure to blend the mixture thoroughly multiple times, stirring in between.
- If you’re looking for a quick recipe, you can use canned chickpeas.